Epic Blog

Tips, Tools and Techniques from the epic software group

Temporary Electric Service Installed - Glad to See the Generator(s) Go!

January 19, 2011 - Since the job began, we have been working with a portable diesel generator. It is loud and stinky and we were limited to where we could work by the length of the extension cord on 220V welder.  On some days we also used a gas generator which made things twice as loud and stinky.  These generators will only let you use120V or 220V, but not both at the same time. We typically used the generator for the 220V, and ran extension cords from the epic studio for the 120V hand…

Read More

Work Begins on the Interior Supports - Stairs and Window Frames

January 14, 2011 - This week we just about finished cutting out all of the common walls (only one more wall to go)!  With the common walls removed, we needed to add 2" x 2" x 1/8" steel columns to support the floors and ceilings.  It is amazing how "bouncy" the center of the floors between the containers are when the walls are removed. We had been using Triple S Steel for our red iron, but decided to look around and found another source (on Craigslist) that saved…

Read More

Cutting the Boxes and Installing the Windows

January 20, 2011 - The weather turned cold this week (for Houston anyway) with morning temperatures dipping down in the low 20's. The rain didn't help matters. We used window tape to seal the tops of the containers, and used the same tape inside to seal the openings between containers. We bought some small propane heaters that are used atop 20 pound propane bottles and that made things a little warmer. We turned containers 9&10 into a workshop which helped to keep things organized. …

Read More

Interior Work on the epic Creative Co-Op - Removing the Common Walls

January 2, 2011 - With the containers set in place, we turned our attention to working on the interiors - specifically, removing the common walls. Our building design includes the removal of 8 common walls, for a total of over 480 linear feet of steel to be cut.  The walls of the container are very heavy, and we cut them into 3' wide by 9' tall sections, for another 720 feet of cutting.  We really put our Hobart plasma cutter to the test.  With 80% of the walls removed at the…

Read More

The Crane Arrives and We Set All 11 Containers in Just Under 5 Hours!

December 21, 2010 - Today was the big day and it went off picture perfect.  For months we have been concerned about getting the containers positioned on the foundation, and on top of each other as we had designed.  If you have been following this blog, you know we went through over 50 designs before arriving at the one we felt allowed "form to follow function", at an estimated price we could live with.  Building it in Sketchup was difficult, so how much more difficult would…

Read More

Pre-Crane Prep Work - Removing Doors, Building Trusses and Cleaning the Containers

December 13, 2010 - With the plumbing in and the foundation curing, we turned our attention to getting the containers ready for placement.  We had just 6 days to locate an 11th container, get it shipped up to our property, get all the units cleaned, prepped and build 6 trusses cut to a tolerance of less than 1/8".  So the work covered in this blog entry took place over six days starting with the hiring of Adam Falcon as the lead Welder for the project.  Adam was recommended by…

Read More

Foundation Framing and Cement Pour - Day 2 - Container Floors

December 10, 2010 - With the plumbing placed properly in the foundation, we were ready to make the second pour. This concrete would be under the containers. We had several discussions as to whether we should even put concrete here (since the beams and footings would actually lend support to the structure. In the end, we made the decision to make the pour and did it the morning of December 10th. We needed two full trucks, plus about a yard of concrete from a third truck. The weather was perfect for…

Read More

Ground Plumbing - Installing the Water and Wastewater Piping Systems

December 9, 2010 - Before we could pour the second part of the foundation, the piping systems would need to be installed for both the water and waste water systems. We received two bids and went with the Triton Plumbing based on the recommendation from our contractor. Triton's bid was itemized and comprised of prices for a ground system, and prices for the plumbing work needed for the finished system.  The Triton Plumbing crew arrived late in the afternoon with a trencher and the materials…

Read More