Epic Software index login search
Blog Archive
June (1 )
December (1 )
August (2 )
July (1 )
March (1 )
February (3 )
December (1 )
November (1 )
August (2 )
July (1 )
June (3 )
May (1 )
April (2 )
March (3 )
February (2 )
January (6 )
December (4 )
November (4 )
October (6 )
September (6 )
August (6 )
July (4 )
June (4 )
May (7 )
April (6 )
March (4 )
February (4 )
January (5 )
December (6 )
November (3 )
October (3 )
September (1 )
August (3 )

By Bloger
Vic (30 )
Anthony (2 )
Andrew (3 )
Adam (2 )

Back to the Blog

Our Blog

RSS Feed for this Blog


R-Panel Roof Installation Begins

March 20, 2011 - Work began last week on the installation of the R-Panels for the roof. The industry trade name is "Galvalume" and they should provide us with years of service.  We purchased the materials along with all of the fasteners, flashing and trim from Triple S Steel. We had the panels cut to 27 and 28 feet in length so we would only have one overlap per panel.  The overlap on the panels were 12 inches, and under each panel is a strip of butyl rubber mastic tape placed their to insure that water would not work its way under the panels. 

At the ends of each panel we used a flexible rubber strip that matched the profile of the R-Panel.  This will help to keep bugs and driving rain out of the attic. Getting the panels up to the roof was a labor intensive task. To insure that the panels would not be damaged, one man on the roof hoisted the panel up, while two others on the ground pushed it up their respective ladders.  Luckily, wind was not a factor on any of the days of the build.

We also spent some time tearing out some door frames we put up because the French doors we were going to use were only 32" each, which is undersized for ADA codes. My comments to our ADA engineer was that we could just open both double doors and easily get a person in a wheelchair through the opening.  He said, the wheelchair bound person needs to be able to go through the door unassisted.  For French doors, he/she must be able to open both doors with one pull, and that pull has to be with less than 5 pounds of force.  This law resulted in unbudgeted costs of more than a thousand dollars.

We removed the remaining hardware on the outside of the building and gave each of the metal door pipes a coat of primer.  We are trying to figure out what color to paint the building and this is turning out to be more difficult than you might think.  Our roof is silver, the soffits and fascia are a charcoal color, and the upper walls will be silver.  Mike Huffine of Silver Rock suggested a dark blue which would go nice with silver (which happen to be his company colors).  We are going to get some paint samples and give it a try.

We met with an electrician today and are planning to do some underground trenching so we can get the power lines from the pole into the building.  At that time we are also planning to tie in the plumbing lines from the new building to the old building's lift station.

Posted by on March 21, 2011

Send this article to your friends
Facebook Email Digg Designfloat del.icio.us Ask Google Twitter Amazon Wishlist Nujij BuddyMarks Squidoo MySpace Multiply LinkedIn oneview Bebo

Post A link on your blog or webpage!

Post URL on your blog or webpage!

E-Mail As A link Mailto
Add to your Favorites
More Shareing Options


No Comments made yet

Leave a comment

Your Comment
Notify me of follow-up comments?

We were not able to use the French Doors we had planned for this balcony, so we put in a 36 inch door.

Same door, with the windows moved up.

TechShield was applied to the studs and window wrap used to seal the seams on the windows.

Our engineer asked us to add additional hurricane straps and weld clips to the container which were bolted to the truss plate.

We also needed to beef up the steel on the large green screen room doors.

Keith cuts out the doorway while Chad holds the drop piece.

Contraption we made to pick up all nails on the site.

Powerful magnets pick up most metal objects on the first pass.

Interior wall on container ll with the framework set for a 36 inch door.

This R-Panel measures 36 inches wide by 28 feet long.

The man on the roof lifts up on the panel while the other roofers push it up their ladders.

The panel is flipped onto the roof, then moved into place.

The R-Panel is installed with a 1 inch drip edge.

Keith and Chad remove the metal door hardware and get it ready for a primer coat of industrial oil paint.