February 4, 2011 - The week started off nice and warm, but a "norther" blew in on Tuesday and the weather turned very cold. The heaters we purchased a couple of weeks earlier allowed us to get interior work done on the flooring and the studs up in containers 7, 8 & 11, as well as the installation of most of the windows. Our trusses were scheduled for delivery on Friday, but the manufacturing plant in Dallas was closed due to an ice storm. We are hoping to get the trusses early next week.
Danny and his framing crew arrived early Monday morning and immediately went to work installing the 4'x8' OSB sheathing on the east wall of the video production studio. We also asked him to move the garage door header up from 7' to 8', to accommodate larger vehicles and equipment we may need to drive into the studio.They also framed out some of the other doors, and added hurricane clips to the bottom of each exterior wall stud. The OSB board was covered with Tyvek which is a high density polyethyene fabric that is applied to the exterior walls of buildings. Tyvek provides a water barrier between the outer cladding of a structure and the frame/insulation, It allows water vapor to pass, yet restricts air infiltration.
Tuesday started off fine, but as the cold front came in, the weather dropped precipitously. We turned our attention to working on the decking of the second floor, framing the remaining windows and installing them. Thursday night brought freezing rain, and even lower temperatures (it was 20 degrees at 8:00am). On Friday the ice storm hit and half the crew was not able to make it in. We used the time to frame out the custom garage doors for the big room.
Saturday, the weather warmed up and the sun came out, so we worked outdoors getting the steel columns and beams fabricated and installed. A total of 36, 6" x 6" x 1/4" metal plates were welded 16" on center to these metal beams. These plates will accept the trusses where they overhang the boxes. We wanted a dramatic roof line, but it required a great deal of custom work to make it happen. To span some of these longer distances, we had to use 2" x 6" boards instead of the less expensive 2" x 4"'s.
We went through no less that 5 iterations on the design of the wooden trusses. Each time, the manufacturer had to do a series of load calculations to insure the weight of the trusses would be sufficiently supported below. We also wanted to have a 4' x 4' "hall" down the row of trusses in the attic that would allow our HVAC and insulation contractors to easy access. The truss company came back with a configuration that would work, but it would require additional material and cost more. We decided it was money well spent. With some luck, the trusses should arrive on Tuesday.
Posted by on February 05, 2011
More Shareing Options