Epic Software index login search
spacer
 
Blog Archive
2016
June (1 )
2013
December (1 )
August (2 )
July (1 )
March (1 )
February (3 )
2012
December (1 )
November (1 )
August (2 )
July (1 )
June (3 )
May (1 )
April (2 )
March (3 )
February (2 )
January (6 )
2011
December (4 )
November (4 )
October (6 )
September (6 )
August (6 )
July (4 )
June (4 )
May (7 )
April (6 )
March (4 )
February (4 )
January (5 )
2010
December (6 )
November (3 )
October (3 )
September (1 )
August (3 )


By Bloger
Vic (30 )
Anthony (2 )
Andrew (3 )
Adam (2 )

Back to the Blog

Our Blog

RSS Feed for this Blog

   
title_blog.jpg

Fire Clean Up Work Ends - Reconstruction Begins

February 10, 2012 - Blackman Mooring completed their work on cleaning the interior of the building and they did a fantastic job. Every inch of the exposed walls and rafters were wiped down with chemical sponges, vacuumed, ozone treated and 2 dumpster loads of debris were carted off. Just a week after the fire started, the only place that smelled like smoke was the studio, and that is only when you get close to the source of the fire. I am confident that once the burned studs are removed, and the studio put back together, you will be hard pressed to know there was ever a fire here in the first place.

The only damage to the interior of the 11 containers was some paint that was burned in container #11. The fireman cut the container with a steel saw, and we welded the piece back in place this week. A couple coats of paint and we are back in business. With the clean-up work completed, we turned our attention to the rebuilding work that will be with us for the next few weeks.

While waiting on the insurance company to issue a check for the repairs to begin, we picked up on those items that had remained on the punch list the day of the fire. We leased Unit #4 to Inspectioneering Journal who were scheduled to move in on February 1, but graciously offered to push it back a month to allow us to get the major construction work out of the way. In their unit we had put down a wood floor on a Thursday, and ripped it out after it was water damaged a day later. It was a shame to see all that beautiful wood being loaded into a dumpster and carted off to a landfill. We finished the installation of the HVAC unit, put up a sliding door, ran cabling, and installed some lighting fixtures in their unit as well. We will get our replacement flooring from LoomCraft Carpets in Spring. Once the new flooring is installed we will be finished with Unit #4.

Since we were not able to work in the studio, we turned our attention to the outdoor kitchen. We got the profiling materials from Toolocity.com, an online store that specializes in Applied Diamond Tools. Their mission is "...to provide high quality diamond tools to fabricator at fastest speed, lowest cost and most reliable quality", and these folks deliver.  While their prices are excellent, it is their personalized customer service that set them apart from other online tool sellers. In our next blog entry, we will take you through the step by step process of profiling a man-made granite countertop.

Next week the real construction begins. We will be talking with our friends from Comfortemp (insulation), Span Construction (wall board and framing), and Sanchez Air Conditioning and Heating (HVAC). I am looking forward to hearing the sounds of hammers and saws and the smell of fresh paint when we walk into the new studio.




Posted by on February 12, 2012


Send this article to your friends
Facebook Email Digg Designfloat del.icio.us Ask Google Twitter Amazon Wishlist Nujij BuddyMarks Squidoo MySpace Multiply LinkedIn oneview Bebo

Post A link on your blog or webpage!

Post URL on your blog or webpage!

E-Mail As A link Mailto
Add to your Favorites
More Shareing Options

Comments


No Comments made yet


Leave a comment

Name:
Email:
Your Comment
Notify me of follow-up comments?
 



The crews from Blackman Mooring were very through in their cleaning work.

Photo showing where the fire began.

This is the only damage on the inside of any of the containers.

Plastic sheeting keeps the weather out until we can get new Hardiboard installed.

Ozone machines were used to remove the smell of smoke inside the building.

HVAC air return unit where the fire began.

Wood flooring from LoomCraft - installed on Thursday, ripped out on Saturday.

Sliding door installed in unit #4

Grid lighting installed in the studio.

Edge detail after the profile was added and buffed.

Scrap tile was used around the face of the counter top.

Counter top edge detail before being grouted.

Cliff and Adam showing off their work on the counter top.

 
 
spacer