Epic Software index login search
spacer
 
Blog Archive
2016
June (1 )
2013
December (1 )
August (2 )
July (1 )
March (1 )
February (3 )
2012
December (1 )
November (1 )
August (2 )
July (1 )
June (3 )
May (1 )
April (2 )
March (3 )
February (2 )
January (6 )
2011
December (4 )
November (4 )
October (6 )
September (6 )
August (6 )
July (4 )
June (4 )
May (7 )
April (6 )
March (4 )
February (4 )
January (5 )
2010
December (6 )
November (3 )
October (3 )
September (1 )
August (3 )


By Bloger
Vic (30 )
Anthony (2 )
Andrew (3 )
Adam (2 )

Back to the Blog

Our Blog

RSS Feed for this Blog

   
title_blog.jpg

Decking and Firestopping Installed, Plumbing, Electrical and Welding Continue

April 17, 2011 - With the exterior painting behind us, we turned out attention to getting everything ready for the insulation crew from ComforTemp.  Many of the questions we've had over the past several months had to do with our plans for insulating the epic Creative Co-Op, so we have created a separate blog entry just for that purpose.  Running wires and pipes are relatively easy to install when there is no insulation in the walls. Once insulation is added to the wall cavities, things get much more complicated.

On commercial buildings, the US Fire Code requires that a firestopping material be used for hole penetrations that go from one area to another. Luckily, we have a client (Rectorseal) who manufacturers a line of firestopping products under the brand name Metacaulk.  They have hired us over the years to produce videos showing the proper installation of their firestopping caulks, sprays, putties, and specialty products.  One problem we always had with making these videos was to get access to a job site where they were being used.That would not be the case here and Rectorseal graciously offered to provide us some of their products for installation photos.

The timing for the installation of the firestopping materials was perfect as we also received a surprise visit from the Montgomery County Fire Marshall's office. Inspector Gary Bennett toured the building and did not find any code violations. With the walls open it was easy for him to see our work, and he was happy with what he observed. The Fire Marshall will return at the end of the project for a final review.

Rectorseal also makes a line of solvent cements and primers for use on PVC and CPVC pipe.  We used both products to install a couple of water lines to faucets we added to the outside of building. That should be the last of the lines we need to run inside the building. The plumbing work that remains will mainly be to install the sinks and commodes.  

We completed the work on the exterior electrical by installing the remaining section of gray PVC pipe up the power pole to the weather-head where the three trunk lines for the building will be attached to the main line by Centerpoint (hopefully, next week).  On the inside, Adam fabricated a really nice metal enclosure (made from Diassa's ACM), then ran the lines and conduit to each of the power panels. He did a really good job making something that few will see look great.

Adam also cut two additional windows in container 10. We wanted to provide the future occupants with additional light, and a view of the woods to the west. We have a lot of touch up work to do on the exterior paint, but that should go quickly after the remaining work is done. Late Saturday afternoon, we used Mike's bucket truck to hoist up the two metal frames Adam made earlier in the week for the AC Units. Mounting them up on the roof will eliminate the possibility of theft, and keeping them out of sight at the same time.

Next week we Sheetrock the walls that were insulated this week, finish the decking, the HVAC installation and if the good weather continues - begin installing the Aluminum Composite Material (exterior siding). 

 




Posted by on April 17, 2011


Send this article to your friends
Facebook Email Digg Designfloat del.icio.us Ask Google Twitter Amazon Wishlist Nujij BuddyMarks Squidoo MySpace Multiply LinkedIn oneview Bebo

Post A link on your blog or webpage!

Post URL on your blog or webpage!

E-Mail As A link Mailto
Add to your Favorites
More Shareing Options

Comments


No Comments made yet


Leave a comment

Name:
Email:
Your Comment
Notify me of follow-up comments?
 



Adam cuts out two new windows in container 10.

These windows will let light in and provide a nice view of the woods.

Chad re installs the door hardware to the external units.

After the door hardware was attached they  were welded shut.

All wall transitions were filled using Rectorseal's Metacaulk firestopping putty.

The caulk goes on easy and will prevent fire from spreading from unit to unit.

This wall is directly behind the electrical panels.

Metacaulk 1000 comes in a variety of sizes.  This is a 5 gallon container.

The 3/4 inch CDX Exterior plywood being delivered with a spider fork lift truck.

Here you can see the closed cell foam insulation in the cavity above container 9.

The CDX plywood was wet and curved so it was not easy to install.

The deck off unit 11 is installed and is wonderful to walk on.

Two water lines were added so we could have outside bib faucets on the East and West sides of the building.

Alan tests the joint to insure it is sized correctly.

After the joints are primed and solvent cement added Alan holds the pipe for 10 seconds to insured a good bond has been made.

Rectorseal's solvent cement and primer were used to make the fittings.

Adam did all of the interior wiring in the utility closet and made the enclosure from Diassa's Aluminum Composite Material.

Alan paints one of the two metal frames Adam built for the AC units.

Mike's truck was used to lift the framework that will hold the AC units in place.

The deck unit was lower in place and bolted to the roof.

Wooden decks were installed on the frames for AC units on both the north and south sides of the building.

 
 
spacer